The Tokyo Olympics witnessed superb talents from all over the world. Among them India has achieved an applaudable recognition. Kamalpreet Kaur is one such talent among them. Kamalpreet Kaur secured the place in Tokyo Olympics 2020 finals with her best discus throw of 64m and in the finals her throw of 63.70m broke the best record of 63.62m set by Krishna Poonia in 2012 London Olympics.
This was really a proud moment for all the Indians. She has been performing well and making a big name for herself on big platforms. Let us know more about the wonderful woman who made India proud.
Read here: Biography of Bhavani Devi
|FULL NAME||KAMALPREET KAUR|
|DATE OF BIRTH||4 MARCH 1996|
|HOMETOWN||BADAL, MUKTSAR, PUNJAB|
|EDUCATION||DASHMESH GIRLS SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (11TH-12TH)|
PUNJAB UNIVERSITY, PATIALA
|SPORT||TRACK AND FIELD|
|PERSONAL BEST RECORD||66.59m|
Who is Kamalpreet Kaur?
Kamalpreet Kaur is an Indian woman athlete in the Discus throw (track and field). She is the first Indian woman to break the 65m record in discus throw. The talented Kamalpreet kaur set a national record of 65.06m and is currently showcasing her skill in the Tokyo Olympics.
Read here: Biography of Lovlina Borgohain
Early Life, Family, Education:
Kamalpreet Kaur was born on 4 March 1996. She hails from Badal from the Muktsar district of Punjab. Her father Kuldeep Singh is a farmer. She completed her schooling from Dashmesh Girls Senior Secondary School. Kamalpreet completed her graduation from the Punjab University, Patiala.
Kamalpreet Kaur Career Details:
- Ms. Kaur started her career in athletics in the year 2012.
- She got the motivation from her physical education coach.
- Kamalpreet began her initial training at the Sports Authority of India(SAI) in the year 2014.
- In her career, she later became a champion in U-18 and U-20. Then she was in the 29th World University games.
- Kamalpreet won a gold medal at the 2019 Federation Cup Senior athletics championship.
- She made history with a throw of 60.25m at the 24th Federation Cup Senior Athletics championship. With this, she became the first Indian woman to breach that record.
- With her outstanding performance at the 24th Federation Cup senior athletics championship in Patiala, she qualified for the Tokyo Olympics.
- She extended her record to 66.59m at the Indian Grand Prix-4 at the NIS, Patiala on 21 June, 2021.
- Her personal best in discus throw is 66.59m.
- She has been honoured by the shiromani gurudwara prabandhak committee. She received a cheque of 2 lakhs and a robe of honour by the SGPC president Bibi Jagir Kaur, Amritsar.
Some Unknown Facts about Kamalpreet Kaur:
- Initially she started with the shot put and later switched to discus throw.
- In an interview she said she had little interest in her studies during her school days.She was very much interested in sports.
- When she breached the record of 62 m at the Federation Cup, after scoring 62, she said her next target will be 65m.
- She appeared for the clerical exam in Indian railways. She did this to support herself and her family financially.
Kamalpreet Kaur in Tokyo Olympics 2020:
- Kamalpreet Kaur threw 60.29m, 63.97m, 64m in three attempts at the Tokyo Olympics. She was one of only 2 throwers in a field of 31 athletes across two groups.
- She secured her place in the finals with her best throw of 64m.
- Kamalpreet Kaur’s third round throw of 63.70m at finals led her to end at sixth position and equal 2010 Commonwealth Games gold medallist Krishna Poonia’s performance at 2012 London Olympics.
Her personal best is 66.59m.
According to Kamalpreet Kaur, her idol is Seema Punia.
She is supported by the GoSports Foundation through the Rahul Dravid Athlete Mentorship Program.
Kamalpreet Kaur has left no stones unturned in making India proud. The strength and grit in her persona is a consequence of sheer hard work. Let us keep the high hopes alive for India’s tremendous performance in the Olympics 2021.
Media Team of Matchlessly is dedicated to explore and collect all the stories/info which require the attention of the world.