India achieved a remarkable feat within a day of the start of the Olympics 2020. 32nd Olympics witnessed a brigade of talents from all over the world. India ensured a remarkable start and Mirabai Chanu became the first ever Indian weightlifter to win silver in Olympics.
The bubbling crowd of India fell short of words to showcase the thrill when she held the medal in hand. With the sense of happiness and pride let us know about the one who has made India proud.
Table of Contents
|FULL NAME||SAIKHOM MIRABAI CHANU|
|DATE OF BIRTH||8-8-1994|
Who is Chanu Saikhom Mirabai?
26-year-old Mirabai was born in Manipur. She comes from a small village near Imphal. Mirabai’s family has a humble background. She is the youngest in her family.
At the age of 12 she realised her knack for weightlifting. There is a story behind it. Once Mirabai and her brother, who is four years elder to her, went to collect wood. Her brother was unable to lift the bundle of woods. However, Mirabai lifted it smoothly. This incident appeared as a turning point.
Chanu Saikhom Achievements
In her early days, Chanu planned to try her hands at archery. But destiny had some other intention. She got inspired by Imphal’s weightlifter Kunjrani. This is how Chanu’s journey with weightlifting began.
- Chanu won her first national medal in the year of 2011. She appeared promising in most of the national events.
- Her significant achievement was in Glasgow Commonwealth Games,2014. She won a silver medal in the 48 kg category.
- Chanu made a remarkable win in the Commonwealth Games of 2018. She won a gold medal over here. Chanu made us proud by winning a gold medal in 12th South Asian Games, Guwahati.
- She was awarded Padma Shri by the Government of India in the year 2018.
- In the year of 2018, Chanu got Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
- She is the only woman Indian weightlifter to qualify for 2021 summer Olympics.
- Mirabai Chanu set a record in Olympics 2021 with a successful lift of 115 kg in clean and jerk.
Mirabai Chanu won her first medal at the age of 20.
Her coach is Vijay Sharma.
Nongpok Kakching in Manipur.
Yes. In the year of 2017 in Anaheim World Championship.
Chanu’s victory has raised India’s expectations high. As a nation we are grateful to this remarkable sportsperson for getting us a significant start. With her grit and determination Mirabai Chanu has created a glorious history.
We are eyeing for a historic Olympic performance. Let us keep our faith and positivity alive for many more such achievements.
Media Team of Matchlessly is dedicated to explore and collect all the stories/info which require the attention of the world.